Sunday, November 29, 2009

OCP (Obsessive Compulsive Pumper)


This is an editorial illustration I did a couple of years ago. Remember, when gas was $4 a gallon? However, the topic of the editorial column was not about high gas prices. The author wrote about how he always tries to stop the gas pump on an even number. The man in the drawing is annoyed because he was attempting to pump the amount of $42.00, not $42.01. I don't have this problem. Whenever the gas pump stops, that's the amount I pay. In this day and age of paying at the pump, why would it matter if the final amount is some random amount? Just slide the card, press pay and go.

Bonus Sketch: This my first concept. I really liked this drawing and I still do, because it's very different from my regular style of drawing. The reason I didn't use it: I thought readers might think this was a caricature of the columnist. I didn't want to risk hurting anyone's feelings, so I just scrapped it.

No comments:

Post a Comment